Strategies to Help Reduce Anxiety at the Dentist
The following are suggestions to help reduce anxiety at the dental office:
- Talk to your dentist about your child's anxiety beforehand.
- Communicate about your child's past dental experiences and don’t be afraid to ask for suggestions and strategies.
- Visit the dental office prior to your child's appointment to get him or her acquainted with the staff and the environment.
- Choose a low stress time for the appointment to help keep you and your child from feeling rushed.
- Request a longer appointment or to split the procedure into two separate appointments.
- Develop a signal between you and your dentist that lets the dentist know that you or your child needs a break from a procedure or exam.
- Distract your child by bringing their favorite toy, book, or headphones and a tablet to listen to music or watch their favorite show during the procedure.
- Ask the dentist about the different sedation options that are available for your child in order to reduce anxiety.